Perfect for those night when you want something full of warm, smooth comfort. Creamy veg and prawn curry is lightly spiced without being overwhelming, and full of delicious flavours. A wooded chenin blanc hasa will round the creaminess perfectly.
Recipe by Leila Saffarian
Photograph by Dylan Swart
Creamy veg and prawn curry
- 10ml (2 tsp) vegetable oil
- 30 – 45ml (2 – 3 tbsp) Thai green curry paste
- 5cm fresh ginger, sliced
- 2 x 410g tins coconut milk
- 125ml (½ cup) vegetable stock
- juice of 3 limes
- 15ml (1 tbsp) fish sauce
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1 large aubergine, cubed or 6 small aubergines, halved
- 8 cleaned and shelled prawns
- 200g baby spinach leaves
- 100g mange tout, sliced
- steamed jasmine rice, to serve
- fresh coriander, to serve
- fresh red chillies, to serve
- fresh lime cheeks, to serve
Heat the oil in a medium pan over medium-high heat and add the green curry paste. Fry for 1 minute until fragrant and add the ginger.
Add the coconut milk, stock, lime juice, fish sauce and seasoning. Bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer.
Add the aubergine and cook for 5 minutes.
Add the cleaned prawns and cook until the prawns are ready, about 6 more minutes.
Adjust the seasoning (more lime, fish sauce and seasoning may be required, depending on personal preference) and turn off the heat. 6 Add the spinach and sliced mange tout. 7 Serve with jasmine rice, fresh coriander, chilli and plenty of fresh lime.
Healthy tip: Substitute one tin of the coconut milk with an extra cup of vegetable stock or a tin of soya cream to reduce the fat content.