- 150g bacon, diced
- 5ml (1 tsp) garlic, peeled and crushed
- 80g (2 alrge) gherkins, finely chopped
- 1 pickled jalapeño, seeded and finely chopped
- 30ml (2 tbsp) spring onion, finely chopped
- 150g Greek yoghurt
- 45ml (3 tbsp) cream cheese, at room temperature
- 45ml (3 tbsp) mayonnaise
- 15ml (1 tbsp) sweet chilli sauce
- 1,25ml (¼ tsp) paprika
- Cerebos Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 5 fresh basil leaves, finely chopped
- 4 large whole artichokes
- 60ml (¼ cup) cake flour, seasoned with Cerebos Salt and pepper
- 3 large eggs, beaten
- 80ml (? cup) breadcrumbs
- 30ml (2 tbsp) Parmesan, finely grated
- vegetable oil, to deep-fry
- lemon wedges, to serve
- microherbs, to garnish (optional)
For the dip, pan-fry the bacon over medium heat until crisp and golden, adding the garlic halfway through the cooking process. Combine the bacon with the gherkins, jalapeño and spring onion and set aside.
Blend the yoghurt, cream cheese, mayonnaise, sweet chilli sauce and paprika together until smooth. Add this to the bacon mixture and season to taste. Stir in the fresh basil and refrigerate until ready to serve.
For the artichokes, follow the steps on how to cook the artichokes. You will have 8 halves.
Pat each half dry and dip it into the seasoned flour. Dip into the eggs and then into the breadcrumb mixture. Repeat with the remaining artichokes.
Heat enough vegetable oil in a deep-fryer or deep pot to deep-fry the artichokes. When the oil is hot, gently drop the crumbed artichokes in and fry until golden and crisp, 1 – 2 minutes. Drain on paper towel and serve with the dip on the side and lemon wedges to squeeze over. Garnish with microherbs, if desired.