30ml (2 tbsp) oil
2,5ml (½ tsp) black onion seeds
1 dried bay leaf
2 dried chillies
500g tomatoes, seeded and roughly chopped
5ml (1 tsp) chilli powder
15ml (1 tbsp) sultanas
- Heat the oil in a saucepan over medium heat and fry the onion seeds, 1 minute. Add the bay leaf, chillies and tomatoes and cook until soft. Stir in the chilli powder, sugar and sultanas and simmer until the liquid has reduced by half and the chutney is glossy, 15 minutes.
- 3kg lean topside mince
- 100g fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 50g fresh coriander, chopped
- 50g Greek herb mix
- 12 blocks butter, cold
- oil, to rub
- 300g Cheddar
- 125ml (½ cup) mayonnaise
- ciabatta rolls
- BBQ mayonnaise (available at delis)
- tomato-chilli chutney (see recipe below)
Preheat the oven to 180°C. For the burger patties, combine all of the ingredients – except the butter, oil, Cheddar and mayonnaise. Divide into 12 patties and insert a block of butter into each. Rub over a little oil. Preheat a griddle pan over high heat and cook the patties until lightly browned, about 8 minutes on each side. Top the patties with Cheddar and some mayonnaise and finish in the oven, about 10 minutes, depending on how you like your patty cooked.
In the meantime, toast the ciabatta rolls. Spread the inside with some BBQ mayonnaise, top with some rocket leaves and insert a cooked burger patty and some tomato-chilli chutney.