Drunken prawns with port and vinho verde
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 20ml (4 tsp) olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 1 stick celery, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, grated
- 180ml port
- 20ml (4 tsp) vinho verde (white wine)
- 700g easy-peel pink prawns
- 25ml olive oil
- 15g butter
- 10ml (2 tsp) fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 3 limes, cut in half, to serve
Heat 20ml oil in a pot over medium heat. Add the onion and fry for 10 minutes until soft and golden. Add the garlic, celery and carrot, and cook for 5 minutes. Add the port and wine and cook until reduced, 10 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
Once cold, add the prawns and refrigerate, covered, to marinate for 2 hours.
Remove the prawns from the marinade and fry in 25ml olive oil and butter in a large pot over high heat for 5 minutes on each side. Strain the marinade and pour the strained juices over the prawns. Reduce the heat and cook for a further 5 minutes.
Stir in the parsley and serve with a lime half.
The prawns can be marinated up to a day in advance.