Mogodu, or tripe, is a cheap and nutritious meal. It’s good go-to winter dish that never fails. Here’s a super easy mogodu recipe to follow. Always leave it to sit for about 10 minutes after cooking. I feel this adds more flavour and taste.
TOTAL TIME 1 hour 45 minutes | SERVES 4
Serves up to four people, but you can adjust it to make the recipe smaller.
- 1 kg Tripe
- 1 Onion (Chop finely)
- 3 Tomatoes
- 1 Green pepper (Chop finely)
- 1 Clove garlic
- 2 Chicken stock cubes, or 1 sachet of chicken soup powder
- A tablespoon of salt to taste
- Clean the tripe and chop into chunks.
- Add to pot and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Once it boils, turn to low heat and simmer for one hour (place lid on pot), stirring every few minutes.
- Add chopped onion, garlic, tomatoes, stock cube and salt.
Let it simmer for one more hour and then serve with rice, or as is. We hope you enjoy this mogodu recipe and get cooking!
ALSO SEE: Easy chakalaka
By Anita Froneman for Getaway Magazine