Ethiopian misir wot (spicy red lentil stew)
- 500ml (2 cups) onion, finely chopped
- 60ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- 5ml (1 tsp) fresh garlic, chopped
- 15ml (1 tbsp) fresh ginger, grated
- 30ml (2 tbsp) berbere spice
- 2 tomatoes, diced
- 60ml (¼ cup) tomato paste
- 500ml (2 cups) split red lentils
- salt, to taste
- 250ml (1 cup) red wine
- 1,5L water or vegetable broth
- injera, to serve
Sauté the onions in the olive oil until translucent. Add the garlic and ginger, sauté for a minute or two.
Add berbere spice, and sauté for a few minutes more, stirring regularly to prevent burning. The onions should start to caramelise by now.
Mix in the chopped tomatoes and tomato paste and simmer, 5 – 10 minutes.
Add the lentils, salt, red wine and the water or vegetable stock. Bring to a gentle boil then turn heat down to a simmer and cook, uncovered, for 1 hour. Serve with injera.