This fennel, pork and tomato stew is a one-pot meal that’s easy to prepare, tasty and nutritious.
Fennel, pork and tomato stew
- 10g (1 tbsp) butter
- 5ml (1 tsp) olive oil
- 4 shallots or baby onions, finely sliced
- 8 pork sausages
- 300g fennel bulb, thinly sliced
- 1,25ml (¼ tsp) chilli flakes
- 125ml (½ cup) celery, sliced
- 5ml (1 tsp) crushed garlic
- 220g cocktail tomatoes
- 200g baby carrots
- 1 x 410g tin tomatoes
- 375ml (1½ cups) warm vegetable stock
- 250g tinned chickpeas
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- cooked rice
- 125ml (½ cup) crème fraîche
- 30ml (2 tbsp) fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
Heat the butter and oil in a pot over medium heat. Add the shallots or baby onions and turn the heat down slightly, allowing the onions to cook until golden, about 5 minutes.
Stir in the sausages and cook until they brown, about 5 minutes. Remove the sausages from the pot and turn the heat back up.
Add the fennel and chilli flakes, and fry for 5 minutes. Stir in the celery, garlic, tomatoes and carrots, and fry for a few minutes.
Pour in the tinned tomatoes and vegetable stock, and stir to combine. Gently place the sausages in the pot and cover with a lid. Simmer until the veggies are tender and the sausages are fully cooked, 40 – 50 minutes.
Five minutes before removing the stew from the heat, stir in the chickpeas and season.
Serve on rice with a dollop of crème fraîche and fresh parsley.