Fragrant roast chicken with baby aubergines and pine nuts
- 1 whole chicken, trimmed and giblets removed
- 30g (3 tbsp) butter
- 1 lemon, halved
- olive oil, for drizzling
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground cinnamon
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground allspice
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) ground cloves
- 300g baby aubergines, halved
- 30ml (2 tbsp) honey
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- To serve
- 30ml (2 tbsp) fresh mint, chopped
- 30ml (2 tbsp) pine nuts, toasted
- 30ml (2 tbsp) pomegranate rubies
Preheat the oven to 200°C.
Place the chicken in a roasting tray, lift the skin off the breast and push the butter underneath the skin, on top of the breast.
Insert the lemon halves in the chicken cavity and rub the chicken with olive oil.
Combine the cinnamon, allspice and cloves, and sprinkle half over the chicken.
Place the halved baby aubergines in the roasting tray, drizzle with olive oil and honey, and sprinkle with the rest of the mixed spices. Season the aubergines and chicken well.
Roast the chicken in the preheated oven until the juices run clear when a knife is inserted into the leg, 30 – 40 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow the chicken to rest for 10 minutes.
Serve the roasted chicken sprinkled with fresh mint, pine nuts and pomegranate rubies.