Fresh asparagus with biltong, black garlic and olive butter
- 75g Kalamata olives, pitted
- 2 anchovy fillets
- 30g biltong dust + extra, to garnish
- 6 black garlic cloves
- 5ml (1 tsp) light brown sugar
- 25ml fresh parsley, roughly chopped
- 1 fennel bulb
- 250g butter, at room temperature
- 800g fresh asparagus spears
- sea salt, to garnish
Place the olives, anchovy fillets, biltong dust, black garlic, sugar, parsley and half of the fennel bulb in a food processor and pulse until roughly chopped.
Place the butter in a mixing bowl, add the chopped biltong mixture and mix well. Allow to stand at room temperature until needed.
Thinly shave the remaining fennel bulb half and crisp up in a little iced water.
Blanch the asparagus spears until just tender, 2 – 3 minutes. Drain and place on a serving dish. Top the warm asparagus with spoonfuls of the biltong butter and finish with the shaved fennel bulb. Add a generous sprinkling of biltong dust and sea salt to serve.