TO DRINK: If not ouzo, the fresh nuttiness and slight saltiness of Monis Fino sherry suits this dish perfectly.
Fried haloumi with mint and caraway dressing
- 60ml (¼ cup) sunflower oil
- 30ml (2 tbsp) caraway seeds
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) garlic, finely chopped
- 45ml (3 tbsp) red wine vinegar
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) lemon juice
- 20ml (4 tsp) fresh mint, shredded
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 240g (2 cups) cake flour
- 8 thick slices of haloumi
- 2 large eggs, lightly beaten
- sunflower oil, for frying
- 60ml (¼ cup) fresh basil leaves
- black olives, to serve
- focaccia, toasted, to serve
For the dressing, heat the oil in a pan and fry the caraway seeds and garlic for 1 minute. Remove from the heat and stir in the vinegar, lemon juice and mint.
Season the flour. Dip each slice of haloumi in the flour, then in the egg and back in the flour. Heat a little oil in a pan and shallow-fry the haloumi in batches until golden. Drain on paper towel.
Serve the haloumi with the olives and focaccia, drizzled with the dressing and garnished with the basil