Recipe by Claire Ferrandi
Ginger, tomato and sweet potato curry with prawns
- 4 (about 1 kg) medium sweet potatoes, scrubbed clean and cubed
- 200g butter
- 100ml olive oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 350g vine tomatoes
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and finely grated
- 15ml (1 tbsp) ground turmeric
- 30ml (2 tbsp) ground coriander
- 30ml (2 tbsp) ground cumin
- 2 lemongrass stalks, finely grated
- 5cm piece ginger, peeled and finely grated
- 10ml (2 tsp) dried chilli flakes
- 2 x 400g tins Italian whole cherry tomatoes
- 1 x 400ml tin coconut milk
- 15ml (1 tbsp) honey
- 30ml (2 tbsp) fish sauce
- juice of 2 limes
- 400g prawns, defrosted and cleaned
- handful fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- handful fresh basil leaves
- lime wedges, to serve
Preheat the oven to 180°C. Place the sweet potato cubes in a roasting tray, dot with 100g of the butter and sprinkle with 30ml (2 tbsp) of the olive oil. Season and roast until soft, 35 minutes.
Place the vine tomatoes in a roasting tray and drizzle with another 30ml (1 tbsp) of the olive oil. Season well and roast until slightly charred, 30 minutes.
Heat the remaining olive oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Fry the garlic, turmeric, coriander, cumin, lemongrass, ginger and chilli flakes, 3 minutes. Add the tinned tomatoes and allow to simmer, 10 minutes. Add the coconut milk, honey, fish sauce and lime juice to the tomato mixture and simmer, 3 minutes.
Melt the remaining butter in a frying pan over high heat. Add the prawns and fry, 4 minutes. Season well.
Before serving, stir the coriander through the sauce and season well. Divide the sweet potato, prawns and roasted vine tomatoes among 4 bowls and top with the sauce. Sprinkle with fresh basil and serve with lime wedges for squeezing.