This is an easy way of preparing fennel and the gratinéed fennel baked in double-thick cream end product is rich and creamy – pure winter indulgence!
Gratinéed fennel baked in double-thick cream
- 4 medium fennel bulbs, with +-10cm of the stem attached
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 30ml (2 tbsp) chives, chopped
- 7,5ml (1½ tsp) crushed garlic
- 625ml (2½ cups) double-thick cream
- 45ml (3 tbsp) breadcrumbs
- 60ml (¼ cup) Parmesan, grated
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Cut the fennel bulbs into halves or quarters, depending on their size. Season lightly and arrange in a 20 x 25cm roasting tray. It is fine if they overlap in the pan.
Lightly stir the chives and garlic into the cream and pour over the fennel.
Cook in the preheated oven until tender, 40 – 50 minutes
Combine the breadcrumbs and cheese, and sprinkle over the fennel. Turn on the grill. Grill until the cheese and crumbs are golden and melted, 3 – 5 minutes.
Serve as a side dish to roast chicken, lamb or fish. Make sure you have crusty bread close by to mop up any leftover sauce.