Grilled pineapple, bacon and avocado salad with a sweet chilli dressing
- 5ml (1 tsp) Dijon mustard
- 1,25ml (¼ tsp) green chilli, chopped
- 15ml (1 tbsp) honey
- 15ml (1 tbsp) lemon juice
- 15ml (1 tbsp) olive or avocado oil
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 6 pieces streaky bacon
- honey, for brushing
- 6 x 1cm thick slices pineapple
- 1 avocado, sliced
- 125ml (½ cup) croutons
- 625ml (2½ cups) watercress and baby spinach mixed salad leaves
For the dressing, whisk the mustard, chilli, honey and lemon juice together. Drizzle in the oil while whisking and season to taste.
Preheat the oven to 200°C. Line a baking tray with baking paper.
Place the bacon on the lined tray and cook it in the oven for 10 minutes. Remove the tray, brush each strip with honey and return to the oven for 5 minutes, keeping an eye on the bacon to make sure it doesn’t burn. Remove from the oven, cool completely and cut the bacon into bite-size pieces.
Heat a griddle pan until hot and grill the pineapple slices on both sides until slightly charred. Allow to cool and cut them in half.
Combine the bacon, pineapple, avocado, croutons and mixed leaves in a salad bowl. Add the dressing and toss to combine.
Add pine nuts or sunflower seeds for extra crunch.