Hake, spring onion and coriander balls
- 500g hake, cooked
- 1 potato, boiled and mashed
- zest of 1 lemon
- 50ml fresh coriander, chopped
- 50ml fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- 5 fresh chives, chopped
- 50ml cake flour
- 10ml (2 tsp) butter
- 2 large eggs
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 200g fresh breadcrumbs
- 200ml sunflower oil, for frying
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges, to serve
Flake the hake in a bowl, then add the potato, zest, herbs, garlic, spring onion, chives, flour, butter and eggs. Season.
With wet hands, shape the mixture into small balls, then roll them in the breadcrumbs to coat evenly. Place the balls on a tray and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
Heat the oil and deep-fry the balls until golden, about 5 minutes. Drain on paper towel.
Pack the balls in a container together with the lemon wedges.
To drink: Waterkloof Sauvignon Blanc 2007 will neither dominate the fish nor be overwhelmed by the coriander.