Here’s a helpful hint when it comes to these haloumi and rosemary veggie skewers: make extra! These skewers will be gone before you know it.
Haloumi and rosemary veggie skewers
- 60ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 5ml (1 tsp) dried chilli flakes
- 5ml (1 tsp) dried oregano
- juice of ½ a lemon
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 12 bamboo skewers, soaked in water
- 400g haloumi, cubed
- 3 red peppers, seeded and cubed
- 3 yellow peppers, seeded and cubed
- fresh basil leaves, to serve
For the marinade, combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl and mix well. Set aside.
For the skewers, place a cube of haloumi followed by a cube of each pepper onto the soaked skewer and repeat.
Place the skewers in a large dish and spoon the marinade over. Wrap with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
Heat a griddle pan over high heat and grill the skewers until the peppers have softened and charred, about 4 minutes on each side. Brush with the marinade while grilling.
Serve with lots of fresh basil leaves.
Cook's tip: These work well on the braai and can easily be turned into a carnivorous meal with the addition of fish, chicken or beef cubes.