The world as we know it is becoming more carb conscious. We’re casting our bread upon the waters, aiding you in this journey to making clever carb choices. This harissa tomato soup contains all of the healthy nutrients you need to keep the cold at bay this winter.
Recipe and styling by Claire Ferrandi
Photograph by Dylan Swart
Harissa tomato soup
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 red pepper, halved and seeds removed
- 16 large tomatoes, quartered
- 15ml (1 tbsp) smoked Spanish paprika
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) dried chilli flakes
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 30ml (2 tbsp) balsamic vinegar
- small handful fresh sage, roughly chopped
- olive oil, to drizzle
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 250ml (1 cup) hot vegetable stock
- roasted and salted almonds (roughly chopped), to serve
- coriander leaves, to serve
- harissa, to serve (find at woolworths.co.za and speciality delis)
Preheat the oven to 200°C. Place the onion, red pepper and tomatoes in a large roasting dish and sprinkle with the smoked Spanish paprika, dried chilli flakes, garlic cloves, balsamic vinegar and fresh sage. Drizzle generously with olive oil. Season to taste, toss to coat and roast in the preheated oven, about 40 minutes, tossing occasionally.
Tip the contents of the roasting dish into a large pot, add the hot vegetable stock and blitz with a stick blender until smooth. Taste and adjust seasoning accordingly, adding a little boiling water if the soup is too thick. Serve hot in bowls topped with chopped almonds, coriander leaves and dollops of harissa.