This is one of those ‘love it’ or ‘hate it’ dishes. Herby steak tartare might not be universally adored, but this recipe is sure to please those who favour it. Using good quality meat is key to this café favourite. Ask your local butcher to mince a batch of sirloin steak for this recipe. The fresh herbs, mature Parmesan and tart caper flavours work so well together.
Herby steak tartare
- 500g minced sirloin
- 45ml (3 tbsp) fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 45ml (3 tbsp) Parmesan, grated
- 30ml (2 tbsp) capers, drained and finely chopped
- Maldon Sea Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- free-range egg yolks, to serve
- dill pickles, to serve
- Dijon mustard, to serve
Combine the mince, parsley, Parmesan, capers and seasoning in a large bowl and mix well.
Shape into 4 portions and place on serving boards. Create a well in each portion.
Just before serving add a free-range egg yolk to each portion and serve with dill pickles and Dijon mustard.