TO DRINK: Sophie Te’Blanche Sauvignon Blanc from Iona.
Honey-roasted butternut,biltong and feta tart
- 1 large butternut, peeled and cut into thin wedges
- 80ml (? cup) honey
- 60ml (¼ cup) olive/avocado oil
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground cinnamon
- 2.5ml (½ tsp) ground nutmeg
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 500g ready-made puff pastry
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten, for brushing
- 125ml (½ cup) crème fraîche
- 250ml (1 cup) biltong, sliced
- 120g feta, crumbled
- fresh basil, to serve
Preheat the oven to 220°C.
Place the butternut on a greased baking tray. Drizzle over the honey
and oil, sprinkle with the cinnamon and nutmeg and season. Bake until tender, about 20 – 30 minutes.Roll out the pastry and cut in half lengthways. Brush both halves with the egg and bake for 20 minutes. Turn the heat down to 180°C and bake for a further 10 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to cool slightly.
Spread the crème fraîche over both pastry bases. Top with the butternut, biltong and feta. Garnish with the basil and serve immediately.