Hot and sour medley of mushroom soup
- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 sticks lemon grass, chopped
- 30ml (2 tbsp) galangal or ginger
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 red chilli, seeded and chopped (optional)
- 500g assorted mushrooms (button, portobello, shiitake and porcini)
- 50g dried wild mushrooms, soaked in 250ml boiling water and liquid reserved
- 6 lime leaves
- 1L (4 cups) good quality chicken or vegetable stock
- juice and zest of 2 limes
- 5ml (1 tsp) fish sauce
- 45ml (3 tbsp) very dry sherry (do not use full- or medium-cream sherry)
- fresh coriander, chopped, to serve
Heat the oil in a large stock pot. Add the onion and lemon grass and sauté until the onion is translucent.
Add the galangal, garlic, chilli,mushrooms and lime leaves and cookfor a further 10 minutes.
Add the reserved wild mushroom liquid, the stock, lime juice and zestand fish sauce.
Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat and simmer for 20 minutes. Add the dry sherry just before serving.
Serve over ramen or udon noodles and scatter with plenty of chopped, fresh coriander.