- Bring a large pot of water to a boil and add a generous squeeze of lemon juice.
- Trim the stems of the artichokes, place them in boiling water and cook for 20 – 30 minutes, depending on their size.
- They are ready when the outer leaves come away easily when pulled.
- Remove the outer leaves until you come to the central cone of soft, pale yellow leaves. Cut off the tip if it is tough. Trim the base to remove any hard bits.
- Halve the artichoke and scoop out the fuzzy, inner choke from both halves.
- Rinse and squeeze over some lemon juice to prevent it from browning.