Italian vegetable soup with salsiccia
- 30ml (2 tbsp) extra virgin olive oil
- 1 red onion, finely chopped
- 2 fennel bulbs, roughly chopped
- 2 celery sticks, roughly chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 30ml (2 tbsp) tomato paste
- 100g green beans, horizontally sliced into bite-sized pieces
- 1,5L beef stock, hot
- 6 Italian salsiccia
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 60ml (¼ cup) fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped, to serve
- crusty Italian bread, to serve
Heat the oil in a large frying pan and add the onion. Cover and let the onion sweat, about 5 minutes.
Mix in the fennel, celery and garlic with the onions, and cook for a minute.
Add the tomato paste, green beans and stock, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, about 15 minutes.
Heat the grill.
Place the sausages on a baking tray and grill, turning to grill all over and cook through. Remove, slice diagonally and add to the soup. Adjust seasoning.
Ladle the soup into four bowls, sprinkle with parsley and serve with crusty Italian bread.