Lemon grass pork with salted cucumber and apple salad is filling, flavourful and fragrant. The meat will melt in your mouth and is divine with the seasoned, tangy vegetables. This is a perfect dish to make when you’re feeling adventurous or need some new taste combinations.
Lemon grass pork with salted cucumber and apple salad
- 1,5kg pork neck
- 1 long red chilli, halved
- 5cm piece (25g) fresh ginger, thickly sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 4 lime leaves
- 1 stalk lemon grass, halved lengthways
- 150g dark palm sugar, grated
- 60ml (¼ cup) fish sauce
- 250ml (1 cup) water
Salted cucumber and apple salad
- 1 English cucumber, peeled, seeded and sliced
- 2 green apples, peeled, cored and thinly sliced
- 1 green chilli, seeded and sliced
- 5ml (1 tsp) sea salt flakes
- 1 lime leaf, thinly sliced
- 60ml (¼ cup) white vinegar
- 30ml (2 tbsp) castor sugar
- 2 spring onions, sliced
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Place the pork, chilli, ginger, garlic, lime leaves, lemon grass, sugar, fish sauce and water in a heavy-based saucepan and cover with a tight lid. Cook for 1 hour, turn and cook until the pork is tender, about a further 2 hours.
While the pork is cooking, make the salad. Place the cucumber, apple, chilli, salt and lime leaf in a bowl and toss to combine. Allow to stand for 1 – 2 minutes, then transfer to a colander and rinse under cold water. Return to the bowl and toss with the vinegar, sugar and spring onion.
Serve the pork warm with the cucumber salad.