The sweet fruit flavours marry really well with the prawns and salty bacon.
Recipe and styling by Illanique van Aswegen
Photograph by Adel Ferreira
Mango, prawn and bacon salad with a creamy pineapple dressing
- 100g pineapple flesh, chopped
- 110g crème fraîche
- 15ml (1 tbsp) apple cider vinegar
- 30ml (2 tbsp) milk
- 15ml (1 tbsp) olive/avocado oil
- 5ml (1 tsp) wholegrain mustard
- pinch cayenne pepper
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 250g streaky bacon
- 200g prawns, cooked and shelled
- 2 mangoes, peeled and sliced
- 130g pineapple, chopped
- 1 avocado, peeled and diced
- 3 handfuls (60g) tender salad leaves
Preheat the oven to 200°C. For the dressing, place all of the ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth. Season to taste.
For the salad, place the bacon on a baking tray and grill in the oven until crisp, 8 – 10 minutes. Chop the bacon into bite-size chunks.
Toss the remaining salad ingredients together with the bacon and serve with a drizzle of the dressing.
To create an edible bowl to serve the salad in, simply brush a tortilla wrap with some garlic butter. Place in a cake tin that will help shape it into a bowl and bake at 200°C until golden and crisp, 7 – 8 minutes.