Meatballs with tomato sauce are a classic for a reason. This suppertime staple dish is beloved by kids and adults. We’ve added pork into the mince mix for some added robustness.
To drink: A no-brainer, try a classic Italian red wine such as Chianti.
Meatballs with tomato sauce
- 200g beef mince
- 200g pork mince
- 2 slices of bread, soaked in milk to soften
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 45ml (3 tbsp) fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- 60ml (¼ cup) Parmesan, freshly grated
- 1 large egg
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- cake flour, for dusting
- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive/avocado oil
- fresh basil, to serve
- tomato sauce, to serve (see cook’s tip)
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Combine the mince, bread, garlic, parsley, Parmesan and egg well together. Season. Using wet hands, shape the meat into small balls, dust with flour and set aside.
Place the meatballs onto a baking tray lined with baking paper and drizzle with the oil. Bake until cooked and golden, about 20 minutes.
Serve the meatballs with fresh basil and the tomato sauce.
Cook's tip: To make the tomato sauce, heat olive oil in a pot, sauté finely chopped garlic cloves and a small chopped onion and cook for a few minutes. Mix a tin of chopped tomatoes and fresh basil and cook covered for about 30 minutes.