Deliciously spicy, Mulligatawny is a well-known English dish of Indian origins. This richly flavoured soup, spiced with curry powder and served with a dollop of tangy sour cream, is perfect for a cold winter’s day.
- 45ml (3 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, diced
- 2 parsnips, diced
- 1 potato, peeled and diced
- 45ml (3 tbsp) red curry paste
- 100g passata
- 800ml beef stock, hot
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 100g basmati rice, cooked
- a handful of fresh coriander, chopped, to serve
Heat the oil in a pot over low heat and sauté the onions, 1 – 2 minutes. Add the carrots, parsnips and potato, and continue to cook, about 5 minutes.
Increase heat and stir in the curry paste. Cook for 1 minute, stir in the passata and add the stock. Season and bring to a boil.
Reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes. Add the rice.
Top with coriander and serve hot.