If you fancy something a little more hearty and sophisticated than a simple Margherita, Mushroom, chicken and Gruyère pizza is for you! Filling and with the perfect combination of comforting flavours, this is a uniquely delicious dish.
Mushroom, chicken and Gruyère pizza
- 400g ‘00’ flour, sifted
- pinch salt
- 30ml (2 tbsp) brown sugar
- 7g dried yeast
- 250ml (1 cup) water, lukewarm
- 1 whole (1,9kg) chicken, covered in chicken stock and boiled for 40 minutes
- 150g tomato paste
- 50g dried porcini mushrooms, soaked in 250ml (1 cup) hot water for 10 minutes
- 150g brown mushrooms, sliced
- 150g Gruyère, grated
- 150g mozzarella, grated
- handful fresh thyme sprigs + extra, to serve
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Preheat the oven to 200°C. For the pizza base, mix together the flour, salt, sugar and yeast. Make a well in the centre, add the water and combine until the mixture comes together. Knead on a floured surface until gluten forms, 10 minutes. Cover and rest in a warm place until the dough doubles in size, about 1 hour. Cut it in half and roll out on a lightly floured surface into two large, thin rectangular bases.
For the topping, pull the meat off the chicken and set aside. Spread tomato paste on the pizza bases and top with chicken, mushrooms, Gruyère, mozzarella and thyme. Season and bake, 25 – 30 minutes. Remove from the oven and garnish with extra thyme. Slice and serve warm.