Makes: about 250ml
- 300g small onions, finely sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 45ml (3 tbsp) olive/avocado oil
- 60ml (¼ cup) butter
- 5ml (1 tsp) mustard seeds
- 5ml (1 tsp) coriander seeds
- 45ml (3 tbsp) red wine vinegar
- 60ml (¼ cup) muscovado sugar
- 60ml (¼ cup) wine
- 125ml (½ cup) port
- salt, to taste
Place the onions, garlic, oil, butter, mustard and coriander seeds in a large pot. Stir to combine and cook gently over a low heat, stirring occasionally, for about 20 minutes.
Add the vinegar and sugar and continue to cook, stirring occasionally, until the onions are completely translucent and well reduced, about a further 10 – 20 minutes.
Stir in the wine and port and continue to cook until the marmalade is thickened and slightly sticky, about a further 10 minutes. Season to taste, pour into a jar and cool before sealing.