- 100g butter
- 1.2 kg onions, peeled and sliced
- 3 sprigs of thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled and sliced
- 2 tbsp flour
- 1 cup dry white wine
- 1.2ℓ beef or vegetable stock
- Salt and cracked black pepper
- 1 French loaf, sliced
- 150g Gruyère, grated
1. Melt the butter in a large pot, then add the onions, thyme and bay leaf. Cook over low heat for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are dark and caramelised.
2. Add the garlic and flour, cook for 1 minute, then add the wine, stirring.
3. Add the stock and bring the soup to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes. Season.
4. Preheat oven to grill.
5. Top the French loaf with Gruyère and cheese – and place under the grill for 5 minutes.
6. Serve the soup with the cheesy toast.
[Image by Dana Devolk via Pexels]