The perfect soul food to share with friends. Oxtail is known for its tender richness, so this is the ideal comfort dish.
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 100ml extra virgin olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2kg oxtail
- 5ml salt
- 10ml good-quality beef stock powder
- 500ml good-quality shiraz
- 1 x 410g tin peeled tomatoes, puréed
- 10ml sugar
- 5 large carrots, thinly sliced
- 5ml – 10ml cornflour, optional
- rosemary leaves, to garnish
- basmati rice, cooked, to serve
In a large pot, sauté the onion in olive oil until translucent, then add the garlic.
Add the oxtail, turning the pieces regularly until they are all nicely browned. Mix in the salt and beef stock powder.
Add the wine and gradually bring to the boil. Reduce the heat and simmer slowly for 3 hours. Check occasionally and add 100ml water or wine if the liquid in the pot dries up.
Remove from the heat, add the tomato and sugar, and stir. Return to the stove and simmer for another 10 minutes.
In another pot, cook the sliced carrots until al dente. Drain the carrots and add them to the meat mixture. Heat slowly until the liquid bubbles again. Thicken with cornflour if necessary. The stew will have a glossy sheen when ready.
Serve hot with fresh coriander leaves and basmati rice.