Recipe by Jacques Erasmus
Pan-grilled angelfish with shaved biltong and radish-caper butter
- 5ml (1 tsp) sugar
- 6 x 200g angelfish/sustainable firm fish fillets
- 45ml (3 tbsp) shallots, peeled and finely sliced
- 150g butter
- 25ml small capers, rinsed
- 45ml (3 tbsp) caperberries, sliced + extra, left whole, to garnish
- 25ml fresh parsley, chopped
- 4 red radishes, thinly sliced
- juice of ½ lemon
- 60g very moist biltong, thinly shaved
- nasturtium leaves, to garnish (optional)
Heat a non-stick frying pan over high heat until very hot. Sprinkle the sugar into the pan (it will immediately caramelise) and add the fish fillets. Drizzle with the oil and cook until just cooked, 2 – 3 minutes on each side. Remove the fish and place on a serving dish.
Return the pan to the heat and cook the butter until starting to brown. Add the shallots, capers, sliced caperberries, parsley, radishes and lemon juice and combine all of the ingredients in the hot butter. Do not cook the ingredients in the butter. Remove from heat and pour the mixture over the fish.
Sprinkle the fish with the shaved biltong and finish with a few nasturtium leaves, if desired, and caperberries to serve.