This is delicious served with grilled pork, beef or fish and garnished with microherbs.
Recipe and styling by Sarah Dall
Photograph by Donna Lewis
Papaya atcharaPrint Recipe
- 500ml (2 cups) rice vinegar
- 500ml (2 cups) water
- 100g sugar
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 x 5cm knob fresh ginger, grated
- 1 papaya, skin and seeds removed and cut into thin strips/julienned
- 1 red pepper, seeded and thinly sliced into rings
- 5 baby carrots, cut in half
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into thin strips
- 5 baby spring onions
Place the rice vinegar, water and sugar in a medium-sized pot and bring to a boil, stirring continuously until all the sugar has dissolved. Reduce the heat, add the whole garlic cloves and ginger and allow to simmer, 5 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside to cool.
Add the papaya, red pepper, carrots and spring onions to the pickling liquid. Pour into sterilised jars and refrigerate overnight. This will keep for up to 2 weeks. But, once opened, use within 2 days.