Pickled green beans and broccoli
- 300g green beans, trimmed
- 200g tender-stem broccoli, trimmed
- 15ml (1 tbsp) olive oil
- 1 shallot, finely chopped
- 15ml (1 tbsp) yellow mustard seeds
- 45ml (3 tbsp) red wine vinegar
- 30ml (2 tbsp) castor sugar
Blanch the green beans and broccoli in boiling salted water until al dente then refresh in ice water before draining and setting aside.
Heat the olive oil in a saucepan and sauté the shallot gently until softened.
Add the mustard seeds and toast for 30 seconds.
Add the vinegar and castor sugar. Stir to dissolve then pour over the drained beans and broccoli. Allow to cool before serving.