These are great in salads, on a grilled chicken sandwich or on burgers in the place of gherkins
Pickled red onions in a Caprese salad
- PICKLED ONIONS
- 250ml (1 cup) red wine vinegar
- 45ml (3 tbsp) sugar
- 2 bay leaves
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) cumin seeds
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) mustard seeds
- a pinch of chilli flakes
- a pinch of salt
- 300g (2 medium) red onions, peeled
- and cut into thin rounds
- 750ml (3 cups) baby tomatoes,
- 250g fresh mozzarella balls or
- buffalo mozzarella balls
- handful basil leaves
- olive or avocado oil, to serve
Heat the vinegar, sugar, bay leaves, cumin and mustard seeds, chilli flakes and salt in a saucepan.
Bring the mixture to a boil and stir in the onions. Take it off the heat immediately and allow the mixture to cool down completely.
Pour it into a sterilised jar and ensure that it is properly sealed. Store in the fridge until ready to use.
For the salad, toss all of the ingredients together, drizzle with olive or avocado oil and serve topped with pickled onions.