If you’re craving a filling, flavourful and healthy meal, try potato and lentil coconut curry. Lentils pack quite the nutritional punch, and are known for their heartiness. The flavours in this dish are wonderfully earthy.
Potato and lentil coconut curry
- 10ml (2 tsp) sunflower oil
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 5ml (1 tsp) garlic, chopped
- 5ml (1 tsp) fresh ginger, chopped
- 2ml fresh chilli, chopped
- 2 large potatoes, washed, peeled and cubed
- 1 tin of full-cream coconut milk
- 200ml vegetable stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 100g brown lentils, cooked
- 1 small bunch fresh coriander, chopped
- basmati rice, to serve
- 1 packet poppadoms, to serve
- Finely chop a small red onion and a fresh tomato, add a little fresh chopped coriander
Heat the oil in a heavy-based pan and add the onion, garlic, ginger and chilli. Sauté for 2 minutes, add potatoes and sauté to develop the flavour.
Add the coconut milk, vegetable stock and bay leaves, and simmer gently until potato cubes are soft, about 10 minutes.
Add the lentils and bring to a boil for 1 minute, remove and add coriander.
Serve with basmati rice, poppadoms and sambals on the side.
To drink: A wooded chenin blanc has ripe pear and apple flavours to temper the spice and a creamy mouth-feel to complement the ‘meaty’ lentils.