Roast loin of pork with fig salsa is a festive dish perfect for the holiday season. The tender, rich meat is delicious with earthy figs, and the sauce is wonderfully tangy. Serve as an unforgettable Christmas dinner.
Recipe by Jacques Erusmus
Roast loin of pork with fig salsa
- 900g – 1kg whole pork loin
- 15ml (1 tbsp) freshly ground black pepper
- 25ml whole pink peppercorns
- 30ml – 45ml (2 – 3 tbsp) sea salt flakes
- 50g dark brown sugar
- 30ml (2 tbsp) fennel seeds
- 100ml olive oil
- 6 figs, quartered
- 90g red cabbage, finely shredded
- 50g radishes, sliced
- 50ml olive oil
- 50ml maple syrup
- juice of ½ lemon
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) lemon zest
For the roasted pork, rub the loin with the remaining ingredients and set aside to rest, 30 minutes. Preheat the oven to 190°C.
Place the loin in a roasting tray and roast in the oven until just cooked, 40 – 45 minutes. Remove from oven and allow to rest, 15 minutes, before cutting into slices.
For the fig salsa, combine all the ingredients and toss well. To serve, spoon the salsa into serving bowls and place the sliced pork loin on top.