These also work well as canapés – just make them smaller.
Sage corncakes with streaky bacon and avocado
- 140g self-raising flour
- 2 free-range eggs, beaten
- 80ml milk
- 100g spring onions, chopped
- 8 fresh sage leaves, chopped
- corn from 3 cobs
- 50g mature cheddar, grated
- sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- oil, for frying
- 1 ripe avocado, sliced
- 6 rashers streaky bacon, fried or grilled
- fresh chives, chopped, to serve
Mix together the flour, eggs and milk to form a smooth batter.
Add the spring onion, sage, corn and cheddar. Season well.
Fry dollops of the batter in a little oil until golden on both sides and drain on paper towel.
To serve, arrange the corncakes on a platter and top with the avocado, bacon and chives.