TO DRINK: Sauvignon blanc is a classic match with the clean flavours of seafood and one of the few white grape varieties that stands up to the acidity of tomatoes
Saucy seafood platter
- TOMATO SAUCE
- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive or avocado oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 x 410g tins chopped tomatoes
- 5ml (1 tsp) dried oregano
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) dried chilli flakes
- 5ml (1 tsp) sugar
- 60ml (¼ cup) water
- sea salt and freshly ground black
- pepper, to taste
- 12 whole tiger prawns, cleaned
- 200g fresh calamari tubes and
- tentacles, cleaned
- fresh flat-leaf parsley, roughly
- chopped, to serve
- fresh crusty bread, to serve
- fresh lemon wedges, to serve
For the tomato sauce, heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat and gently fry the onion until golden.
Add the garlic, tinned tomatoes, oregano, chilli flakes, sugar and water, and season well. Let the sauce cook for 15 – 20 minutes over low-medium heat until reduced and thick and chunky. Adjust seasoning and set aside.
Transfer the sauce to a large non-stick frying pan or shallow casserole dish that can be used on the stove top. Heat over medium heat and add the prawns. Cover with a lid and cook for 5 minutes. Add the calamari and cover again with the lid. Cook for a further 5 minutes or until the prawns have turned pink and the calamari is cooked.
Adjust seasoning and scatter with parsley before serving with plenty of crusty bread and lemon wedges.
LEILA’S TIP You can add mussels and any type of sustainable fish to this platter – remember to check the SASSI website for sustainable fish varieties. www.wwfsassi.co.za