Recipe by Jacques Erasmus
Shaved biltong and pea open ravioli
- 400g very moist biltong
- 12 fresh lasagne sheets
- 500g fresh peas
- 75g Parmesan, finely grated
- 125ml (½ cup) extra virgin olive oil
- juice ½ lemon
- splash white wine vinegar
- 6 very fresh eggs
- large handful fresh sugar snap peas, split in half lengthways
- 50ml fresh parsley/fennel, torn
- black salt flakes, to taste
Using a very sharp knife, slice the biltong into paper-thin wafers and set aside.
Bring a saucepan of salted water to a rolling boil, add the pasta sheets and peas and boil, 2 – 3 minutes. Drain and place in a mixing bowl. Add the Parmesan, olive oil and lemon juice and toss lightly.
Bring another saucepan of water to a simmer and add the splash of vinegar. Poach the eggs in the simmering water until the white is set and the yolks are still runny, 4 – 5 minutes.
Spoon the peas and pasta sheets into 6 serving bowls and top with the biltong slices and soft-poached eggs. Arrange some sugar snap pea halves around each plate and finish with a sprinkling of parsley and black salt to serve.