To drink: Serve this salad with fresh, zesty and refreshing pomegranate juice.
Susie Vincent has been a caterer for more than 15 years. She has delighted palates both internationally and locally, and now shares her secrets at her monthly cooking classes in Johannesburg. Call 082 576 2664 or email [email protected].
Simple summer leaf salad
- 125ml (½ cup) olive oil
- 60ml (¼ cup) red wine vinegar
- 30ml (2 tbsp) brown sugar
- 15ml (1 tbsp) Dijon mustard
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 15ml (1 tbsp) fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- 3 baby gem lettuces, quartered
- 500ml (2 cups) mixed baby leaves
- 2 carrots, julienned
- 1 cucumber, peeled and julienned
- 250g baby fennel, thinly sliced
- 2 avocados, sliced
- 200g asparagus tips, blanched
- Parmesan shavings, to garnish
For the dressing, whisk all the ingredients together and set aside.
Combine the remaining ingredients, drizzle with the dressing and serve.