TO DRINK: A full, fruity Pinot Noir has cherry fruit and a sweet earthiness that complements slow cooked meat dishes
Slow cooked Irish lamb and barley soup
- 10ml (2 tsp) olive oil
- 500g lamb neck
- 2 medium carrots, grated
- 1 small celery stalk, diced
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 large leek, sliced
- 170g (1 cup) pearl barley, washed
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 2L good quality lamb stock
Heat the oil in a frying pan and brown the meat.
Place all of the ingredients in the slow cooker and set for 8 hours on high.
Serve with Irish soda bread.