Smoked paprika and mango chicken
- 150g (1½ cups) mango, peeled, pitted and roughly chopped
- 180ml (¾ cup) fresh coriander + extra, to serve
- 30ml (2 tbsp) fresh lemon juice
- 30ml (2 tbsp) unseasoned rice wine vinegar
- 15ml (1 tbsp) canola oil + extra, for grilling
- 4 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 red pepper
- 5ml (1 tsp) smoked paprika
- 10ml (2 tsp) kosher salt
- 5ml (1 tsp) freshly ground black pepper
- 1 x 1kg chicken, spatchcocked
1. Prepare the braai.
2. Place the mango, coriander, lemon juice, rice wine vinegar, 15ml (1 tbsp)
oil, garlic, red pepper, smoked paprika, salt and pepper in a food
processor, and purée until smooth. Adjust seasoning.
3. Place the chicken and half of the paprika mango sauce in a resealable
plastic bag, and massage to coat the chicken with the sauce. Refrigerate
for at least 6 hours to marinate.
4. Pour the other half of the paprika mango sauce into a small saucepan
and simmer over low heat until thick, stirring often, about 15 minutes.
Set some of the simmered sauce aside to serve with the cooked chicken,
and baste the chicken every few minutes with the rest of the sauce.
5. Remove the chicken from the marinade and place on the braai. Grill the
chicken, turning and basting every 5 minutes, until cooked through, 35 –
45 minutes. Alternatively, the chicken can be roasted in the oven on a
roasting tray, 50 minutes – 1 hour at 200°C.
6. Transfer to a serving platter and serve with the reserved sauce