Recipe by Angela Ridge
Spanspek with sweet coconut dukkah
- 70g (1 cup) slivered almonds
- 40g hazelnuts
- 30g (½ cup) shredded coconut
- 20g (2 tbsp) sesame seeds
- 5ml (1 tsp) cinnamon
- ¾ tsp ground ginger
- ¾ tsp ground cardamom
- 2½ tbsp brown sugar
- 1 ripe spanspek, cut into thick slices
- Greek-style yoghurt or fresh cream, to serve (optional)
Place the almonds and hazelnuts in a non-stick frying pan and toast over medium heat, 2 – 3 minutes.
Add the coconut, sesame seeds and spices. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the ingredients are golden and the dukkah is fragrant. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
Place the cooled mixture and sugar in a food processor, and blitz until well chopped.
Dip the spanspek pieces into the dukkah. Serve with the leftover dukkah in a small bowl and Greek-style yoghurt or cream.