Spiced prawn pilau
- 12 queen prawns, shelled and cleaned
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 45ml (3 tbsp) olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 green peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 20ml (4 tsp) fresh ginger, crushed
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground turmeric
- 15ml (1 tbsp) medium curry powder
- 250ml (1 cup) plain yoghurt
- 240g rice
- 500ml (2 cups) chicken stock, hot
- 2 bay leaves
- yoghurt, extra, to serve
- spring onion greens, chopped, to serve
Place the prawns in a bowl and season, rubbing the seasoning in well.
Heat the oil in a deep pot and brown the prawns all over. Remove with a slotted spoon and keep warm.
In the same pot, gently sauté the onions, pepper, garlic and ginger for a few minutes.
Return the prawns to the pot and add the turmeric, curry powder and yoghurt. Stir with a wooden spoon to coat well. Cover and cook on medium heat for 15 minutes.
Stir in the rice, stock and bay leaves and bring to a simmer. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes. Remove from the heat and leave to stand uncovered until the rice has absorbed all the liquid.
Adjust the seasoning and serve with the extra yoghurt, spring onions and a chutney of your choice.