Keep your cooking caliente with these delicious Spicy mussels with lightly flavoured garlic bread. This Spanish-inspired recipe is sure to add some fire to your palate.
Spicy mussels with lightly flavoured garlic bread
- Spicy sauce
- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive or avocado oil
- 2 fresh red chillies, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, finely chopped
- 10ml (2 tsp) paprika
- 1 x 400g tin whole peeled tomatoes
- Maldon sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 100ml water
- 1 bay leaf
- pinch salt
- 1kg mussel halves, cleaned
- Garlic bread
- 1 baguette loaf, sliced 45ml (3 tbsp) butter
- 1 head of garlic, cut in half across the cloves
For the spicy sauce, heat a saucepan on medium heat and add the olive oil, chilli and bell peppers, and fry, about 3 minutes. Add the paprika and fry for a further 2 minutes while stirring.
Add the whole peeled tomatoes and cook until the sauce reduces by half. Season and keep warm.
For the mussels, bring the water, bay leaf and salt to a boil in a large covered pan. Add the mussels, place the lid back on the pan and cook, 4 – 5 minutes. Drain and set aside.
To make the garlic bread, butter the French loaf slices on one side and place the buttered sides on a hot, non-stick griddle pan to grill until golden brown, about 3 – 5 minutes. Remove from the pan and rub with the garlic to lightly flavour. To serve, add the mussels to the spicy sauce and serve with the garlic bread for dipping.