Spicy pan-grilled calamari tubes with quince aïoli
- 2 red chillies, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- 60ml (¼ cup) olive oil
- zest of 1 lemon
- juice of ½ lemon
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 100g calamari tubes
- olive oil, to fry
- Quine aïoli
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 garlic clove, peeled and chopped
- 15ml (1 tbsp) lemon juice
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) salt
- 150ml olive oil
- 2 slices bottled quince
- fried tentacles, to serve
For the calamari, mix together the chillies, garlic, the 60ml (¼ cup) olive oil and lemon zest and juice in a medium-sized bowl. Season the calamari tubes, thread onto mini skewers and place in the marinade. Cover and refrigerate, 20 minutes.
2. For the quince aïoli, whisk together the egg yolks, garlic, lemon juice and salt, using an electric beater, until mixed through. Gradually add the olive oil, while whisking, until emulsified. Mash the quince and stir into the aïoli.
3. Heat a non-stick griddle pan over high heat and fry the calamari in the olive oil until cooked, 5 – 10 minutes, turning halfway. Take care not to overcook it as the calamari will become rubbery. Serve with a side of aïoli and fried tentacles. Drizzle with leftover juices from the pan.