Spicy red pepper soup
- 5 red peppers, seeded and sliced
- 30ml (2 tbsp) olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 spring onions, sliced
- 1 red chilli, seeded and chopped
- 1 x 420g tin Italian chopped tomatoes
- 1,3L vegetable stock
- 10ml (2 tsp) balsamic vinegar
- 45ml (3 tbsp) fresh basil, shredded
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
Preheat the oven to 180°C.
Place the peppers on a baking tray and roast until the skins are charred. Place in a plastic bag to sweat (makes it easier to peel the skin), and chop roughly.
Heat the oil in a large pot and sauté the garlic, spring onions and chilli, 2 – 3 minutes.
Transfer the peppers, spring onion mixture and tomatoes to a blender and blend until smooth.
Heat the stock in a pot and add the pepper mixture. Cook until heated through. Add the vinegar and basil, season and serve.