TO DRINK: The mintiness of a merlot will work well with the lamb 1,5kg leg of lamb, boned and butterflied
Stuffed leg of lamb with salsa verde
- 15ml (1 tbsp) minced garlic
- salt and freshly ground black
- pepper, to taste
- SALSA VERDE
- 250ml (1 cup) extra virgin olive oil
- 125ml (½ cup) fresh lemon juice
- 125ml (½ cup) fresh parsley,
- 80ml ( cup) spring onions, finely
- 60ml (¼ cup) fresh mint, chopped
- 60ml (¼ cup) capers, drained and
- 15ml (1 tbsp) lemon zest
- 2,5ml (½ tsp) cayenne pepper
- salt, to taste
Preheat the oven to 190°C.
Place lamb on work surface, smoothside down. Sprinkle with garlic, salt and black pepper and set aside.
For the salsa verde, combine all of the ingredients in a large bowl or blender and blend using the pulse for just a few minutes or until well mixed.
Rub 60ml (¼ cup) salsa verde over the garlic. Roll up the lamb and tie tightly with kitchen string.
Place lamb on rack in roasting pan. Roast until thermometer inserted into thickest part of lamb registers 50°C for medium-rare, about 1 hour and 30 minutes.
Let lamb stand at room temperature for 15 minutes, transfer to cutting board and remove string.
Arrange the sliced leg of lamb or whole lamb on a platter. Spoon salsa verde over meat or serve separately in a sauce boat.
The lamb and salsa verde can be prepared a day ahead. Cover separately and chill. Allow to stand at room temperature for an hour before continuing.