What barbecue would be complete without sweet and spicy spare ribs? These sticky, tender cuts are bursting with flavour and always a hit.
Sweet and spicy spare ribs
- 125ml (½ cup) maple syrup
- 125ml (½ cup) soy sauce
- 150ml beer
- 1 red chilli, seeded and chopped
- 45ml (3 tbsp) tomato purée
- 2 star anise
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs
- 5ml (1 tsp) ground allspice
- 1,5kg beef spare ribs
- fresh flat-leaf parsley, chopped, to serve
Preheat the oven to 200°C.
Place all the ingredients except for the ribs and parsley in a saucepan. Bring to the boil, then simmer until slightly thickened.
Place the ribs on a foil-lined baking tray and brush generously with the soy mixture. Roast for about 30 minutes.
Reduce the oven temperature to 150°C and continue to roast, basting frequently, for a further 15 minutes.
Slice the ribs and garnish with parsley.