The ginger adds a kick to this silky smooth soup and the addition of fresh coconut shavings gives it a marvellous contrasting crunch.
By Bernadette Le Roux
Photograph by Shane Powell
Sweet potato, ginger and coconut soup
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 red chilli, seeded and finely sliced
- 15ml (1 tbsp) fresh ginger, grated
- 30ml (2 tbsp) butter
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 4 large red-fleshed sweet potatoes, cubed
- 30ml (2 tbsp) soy sauce
- 1 x 400g tin coconut cream
- salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- fresh coconut, shaved, to garnish
- fresh coriander, to garnish
Gently sauté the onion, garlic, chilli and ginger in the butter for about5 minutes.
Add the stock and sweet potato and simmer until the sweet potato is soft and tender, about 15 – 20 minutes.
Blend in a food processor, pour into a clean pot and stir in the soy sauce, coconut cream and seasoning.
Serve garnished with fresh coconut shavings and a few sprigs of coriander.