We love this Thai prawn, pawpaw and palm heart salad with a citrus dressing. The aromas are intoxicating and it tastes absolutely divine! Pair it with a glass of your favourite wine.
Thai prawn, pawpaw and palm heart salad with a citrus dressing
- juice and zest of 4 limes
- juice of ½ orange
- 45ml (3 tbsp) palm sugar
- 1 red chilli, seeded and sliced
- handful of red basil leaves
- 30ml (2 tbsp) fresh mint
- 2 Thai lime leaves
- 30ml (2 tbps) fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 1 fresh lemon grass, trimmed, halved and bruised
- 5ml (1 tsp) fish sauce
- 500g fresh prawns
- 1 Israeli cucumber, seeded and cubed
- ½ pawpaw, seeded and cubed
- 1 x 410g tin palm hearts, drained and cubed
- 1 avocado, cubed
- 1 shallot, finely sliced
- 125ml (½ cup) fresh coriander
- 60ml (¼ cup) fresh mint
- 60ml (¼ cup) cashew nuts, toasted
- 2 limes, halved to serve
For the dressing, bring the lime juice, zest and orange juice to the boil over medium heat in a small pot. Remove from the heat and add the sugar and stir until it has dissolved, about5 minutes. Return to the heat if the sugar is not dissolving.
Using a pestle and mortar lightly crush the chilli, herbs, lime leaves, ginger and lemon grass.
Stir the lemon grass mixture into the palm sugar mixture and allow to infuse for about 1 hour.
Stir in the fish sauce to season. Strain and discard the solids.
For the salad, toss to combine all of the ingredients, except for the limes, in a large mixing bowl and add just enough dressing to coat the ingredients.
Divide the salad between individual serving bowls and drizzle with the remaining dressing. Add the limes and serve.